Sunday, June 12, 2022

92 NY Class report & Homework 1

So, as I alluded to last post, I am taking a class called Cartooning for Beginners from Josh Bayer, cartoonist and educator, through 92NY, the cultural enrichment center that is part of the 92nd Street YMHA in New York City. The class so far has been skewed a little toward the comics/graphic novel domain rather just cartoon art; it's a context I am familiar with, but I am much more interesting in actual mark-making techniques than I am in the theories of panel transition and closure. (See this now 13-year-old post.)

Anyway, I finished the homework from the first class last week, that I posted in-progress last time, complete with in inadvertent water stain:

Part of my deal is that I just have to to throw more ink on the page!

In the spirit of completeness, here are some blurry shots of my in-class markings from the first session:




This week we worked on inking some - particularly with regard to clothing and wrinkles. I felt pretty good about some of this work:


I actually used a brush open for these last two.

And, finally,  here's a tree trunk cross-hatched in Ernie Bushmiller style:

I am looking forward to continuing the class and will post more.

No comments:

Post a Comment